Melissa has created this “Relational Wellness Wheel” to demonstrate how your relationship is at the core of your wellness. All areas of your personal wellness interact with your relationship. You can hover over each wellness area to read Melissa’s description of it and how it relates to your relationship.
There are many resources out there on marriage and relationships, you can check on-line, in book stores, etc. You can find what books or websites speak to you. Here are some that The Couple Wellness Expert recommends.
- Hold Me Tight by Susan Johnston
- Identifying the negative cycle in a relationship and rebuilding emotional closeness
- Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- Quality Time, Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch, Acts of Service and Gifts
- Passionate Marriage by David Schnarch
- Dr. Schnarch discusses physical intimacy and connection and how to achieve this. He was among the first to write about human sexuality.
- The New Rules of Marriage by Terrence Real
- Dr. Real discusses how marriage has evolved over time and how this has impacted on the long-standing divorce rate. He offers practical advise for improving your relationship, including being honest with each other. Dr. Real developed Relational Life Therapy and was the first to write about male depression in “I Don’t Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression”. He also wrote “How Can I Get Through to You?: Reconnecting Men and Women”.
- Escaping the Parent Trap by Debbie L. Cherry
- Dr. Cherry has also written “Childproofing Your Marriage”. Both are great resources to learn how to balance all the demands of life- marriage, children and work.
- The Good Marriage by Judith Wallerstein and Sandra Blakeslee
- Dr. Wallerstein and Dr. Blakeslee discuss various styles of marriage. They take a more positive stance by describing what is involved in strong long-lasting marriages. They have done research on marriage for a number of years.
- Love Yourself, Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
- There is a book and a workbook. This book helps you overcome personal obstacles, think more positively, and create positive affirmations. Highly recommended for those struggling with emotional hurdles or self-esteem.
- Take the on-line test to figure out which love language you and your partner identify with
- The Institute of Marriage and Family Canada has much information and recent research on marriage
- Focus on the Family is a Christian Canadian website that offers marriage advise and tips. They also offer a podcast and books.
This website discusses current events regarding marriage, and shares many marital resources. Although American, I’ve still included it in my listing, as they have some great ideas on building strong marriages and the latest research on marriage
- The Circle and Bloom website holds much information on infertility and offers audio programs to help with connecting mind to body and decrease stress levels
- This website has a great deal of information regarding the most up to date research, suppot, options and news on infertility.
Wellness Workshop Thank-you’s!
- Thank-you to Bloor West Homeopathic and Wellness Centre and to Women on the Move for accommodating my Wellness Workshops in your venue space
- Thank-you to Pamela Hamel with Foods by Nature for bringing some amazing cheeses and baked goods to our Wellness Workshops
- Thank-you to Cathy Skidmore with Steeped Tea for allowing us to try some of her delicious teas at our Wellness Workshops